Support Girls on the Run of New Jersey
Girls on the Run of New Jersey is actively seeking charitable contributions and sponsorships to support our current programs and to help extend our programs to new communities in the north/central area of New Jersey. Girls on the Run of New Jersey is a 501(c)(3) non profit corporation.
Why Donate or Sponsor?
Some Sad Facts For Today’s Girls:
- Body dissatisfaction and dietary restraint are predictors of depression in girls.
- Almost two-thirds of girls in 5th-12th grades are dissatisfied with their body shape and want to lose weight.
- Girls as young as five form negative self-images based on their weight.
- Among girls, an emphasis on popularity and slimness along with increased television viewing are linked to low self-esteem.
If You Want To Help Change That, Here Is Some Good News:
- Girls who participate in physical activities are 40% less likely to smoke, have higher levels of self-esteem, better body images, and lower levels of depression.
- Girls who have experienced emotional trauma respond positively to physical fitness programs.
- Girls who participate in physical activities are less likely to engage in risky sexual behavior during adolescence.
- Girls who participate in physical exercise have better relationships with parents, get better grades, are less likely to use drugs and are less depressed than girls who don’t.
And The Best News? If a Girl is Involved With Girls On The Run:
- she has higher self-esteem;**
- she has improved eating attitudes;**
- she has an improved body image;** and
- she has a positive peer group and positive role models for her future.
**According to research conducted by Dr. Rita DeBate, Ph.D., MPH, CHES, assistant professor in the department of Health Behavior at UNC-Charlotte, the Girls on the Run Curricula improve girls self- esteem, body image and eating attitudes to a “statistically significant” extent.
If you would like to support our mission of preparing pre-teen girls for a lifetime of self- respect and healthy living, please click the link below or on the right sidebar above to make a tax-deductible contribution.
Please click here to learn more about becoming a Girls on the Run of New Jersey sponsor.