We have a need for the following volunteer positions:
Thank you for your interest in Girls on the Run® of New Jersey East! We really appreciate you taking the initiative to learn more about the program and to offer your assistance. At Girls on the Run® , our volunteers are the backbone of our program! We are a group of energetic women who share a passion for preparing young girls for a lifetime of self- respect and healthy living. The program is offered twice a year: Fall (early-September to mid-November) and Spring (late March to mid-June). Sessions are held for 1 hour and 15 minutes twice a week after school OR once a week after school and on Saturdays. Each site has at least two trained coaches. Below is a description of what is involved in volunteering to coach our program.
Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with additional questions and to request more information. To apply for a coaching position, please reach out directly to the appropriate County Director.
Essex County: Camilla Nichols-Uhler – email@example.com
Union County: Gabrielle Rossi – firstname.lastname@example.org
Morris County: Kim Ciriaco – email@example.com
Mercer County: Anne Klein – firstname.lastname@example.org
Burlington County: Melissa Neiheisel – email@example.com
REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL GIRLS ON THE RUN® VOLUNTEERS:
- Genuine interest in leading a healthy life.
- Interest in physical fitness or running.
- Commitment to the mission of GOTR® .
- Reliable, honest and positive outlook on life.
- Interest in the issues facing young women today.
- Desire to get involved in a nonprofit organization and to help create public awareness.
DUTIES OF A GIRLS ON THE RUN® COACH:
- Prepare bi-weekly, 1 hour lesson plans in a manner consistent with the GOTR® curriculum and philosophy. Although GOTR® of New Jersey East provides all the materials for the lessons, preparation may include copying, cutting and pasting materials needed for the activities.
- Serve as a role model for the girls by big on time, listening attentively, having a positive demeanor and outlook and by leading a healthy lifestyle.
- Coach the girls on basic proper stretching, running form, hydration and sports nutrition.
- Encourage and cheer on the girls as they play games and run laps.
- Mediate disputes among participants in a prompt, respectful manner.
- Be your real/authentic self with the girls at all times and, above all, have fun with them!
- Six hour training with the Girls on the Run® of NJ East staff.
- CPR and First Aid certification (REQUIRED for a least one coach per site and is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED for additional coaches/site).
- Attendance at every GOTR session, although subs may be arranged on an as-needed basis with advance notice.
- Participation in the end-of-season 5K.
- Coordination of logistics and attendance at the community service project.
- Plan a final celebration and prepare individual awards and final certificates for GOTR® participants.
- Successfully complete a background check (GOTR outsources and pays for this).
- Training – 6 hours
- Program prep – 12 hours over the course of the season
- Program delivery – (1 hour 15 minutes per session x 24 lessons) – 30 hours
- 5K day – 2 hours
- Final awards/certificate preparation – 2 hours
ESTIMATED TOTAL TIME COMMITMENT: 52 HOURS
DUTIES OF AN ASSISTANT COACH:
- Six hour training with the Girls on the Run® of NJ East staff (strongly recommended).
- Attend workouts and serve as number one encourager, cheer leader, finish line greeter and high fiver.
- Help in “having eyes in the back of your head”, particularly if you see a girl you think may be falling through the cracks.
- Provide one-on-one attention to the girls who may need extra encouragement and help. This may one of the most rewarding jobs you will ever have.
- Run or walk with the girls and encourage them to put their best effort into the workouts.
- Support head coaches’ advice on running or speed-walking technique and pacing.
- Assist coaches with preparation for various lesson plans/workouts by cutting, pasting and copying the materials as needed.
- Assist the coaches with preparing final awards/certificates and general administrative duties.
- Successfully complete a background check.
VOLUNTEER COMMITTEE MEMBERS
At the present time, we are looking for dependable committee members who are willing to serve our council.
General Committee Job Description
GOTR NJE has created a committee structure to support the pillars of 3-5 year strategic plan. The committee focus areas will be:
1) Branding: focused on marketing, PR & community building activities to enhance the GOTR in the community
2) Managing Volunteers & Human capital: focused on coach/volunteer mgt
3) Every girl can run: focused on developing funding engine for underserved communities as well as strategic plan to address and expand our underserved footprint
4) Enhancing Development Engine: focused on fundraising and institutional giving
Our committees are comprised of Staff, Board, and other Volunteers who are looking to get involved in the strategic direction behind our chapter. In the future, we will also be tapping into the human capital developed in our committees to recruit and source for our Board of Directors.
Committee members are required to attend a monthly committee meeting (normally held via phone and arranged by the members themselves), as well as complete supporting duties to keep the mission of the committee moving forward over the course of each month in between.